They told me that whenever the pilot light goes out on a gas fireplace, there’s usually only a reason to be concerned if the gas flow hasn’t been stopped.
I wanted to make a fire in the gas fireplace in our den last week. It has been the coldest, rainiest spring in history around here, and so I was thinking about how cozy and fun it would be to have a fire and to sit down in my cozy reading chair by the fire while I sipped on a glass of wine. Well, when I went to turn on the fireplace, nothing happened. I flipped the switch on the side of the fireplace several times, but that didn’t help. I wasn’t sure what to do, but it scared me a little bit because I am scared of the gas that feeds into the fireplace. I am always terrified that my gas fireplace is going to blow up one day and destroy my house or something. I know that it’s probably never going to happen, and even my HVAC technician told me that it has a lot of built in safety protocols, but I still always worry about things like that. Anyway, because I’m such a chicken about stuff like that, I called my HVAC company immediately to get their advice. They told me that whenever the pilot light goes out on a gas fireplace, there’s usually only a reason to be concerned if the gas flow hasn’t been stopped. He told me that usually, a pilot light in a fireplace goes off because there’s a failure in the gas supply. I didn’t smell any gas, and so they said that chances were that was the case. He told me that if I was too scared to check it, they could do an emergency HVAC call and send someone out. Of course, I went outside and waited for the HVAC truck to get there!